Saturday, February 4, 2012

Porridge Time @ SS2 Mall

Porridge/ Congee - This comfort food is usually the first non-milk food given to babies and often eaten by the elderly. Besides being an everyday meal, porridge is considered to be a food therapy for the unwell, with different ingredients yielding different therapeutic values as well as flavors.

Located at the food precinct of SS2 Mall, lies a no frills porridge shop. Porridge Time not only offers patrons a good variety of porridges, it also encourages diners to create it own version of porridge by selecting different ingredients. Popular sides such as You Tiao, Fried Fish Cake and Fried Fu Chok are available to complement the heart warming dish.
Peanut Porridge with Salted Egg - Being a Teo Chew, having peanuts in the porridge is essential as having water in the porridge. The texture of the porridge was smooth, with a well balanced water and rice. Delicious!
Kung Po Style Farm Frog - The farm frog was fresh, however the taste of Kung Po failed to find its way into the tender meat.
Yu Tiao - I'm golden brown and I'm beautiful! Dip me into the porridge!
A surprise present from Jen - KOKO Black 
KOKO Black X'mas Collection - what a great way to end the meal with some sweet treats. 

According to Chinese tradition, people have vegetable porridge in the Spring, green bean porridge in the Summer, lotus root porridge in the Autumn and preserved meat porridge in the Winter. In Malaysia, we have claypot porridge with frog's leg all year round. =)

Verdict : SOMEWHAT SMITTEN

19 comments:

  1. What?? Got such Chinese tradition? I don't even know bout it *hides face*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hehhehe... we learn something new everyday. COOL yea?

      Delete
  2. i love you tiao :) best eaten with porridge, but sometimes i have them with coffee

    Latest: Must-Eat Before CNY Ends!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You Tiao with Coffee? That's something new for me to try..

      Delete
  3. i love porridge. will check this place up when i need my comfort food:D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Porridge is a great comfort food. =) Good for rainy days too..

      Delete
  4. I once had one of those frog dishes and it was SUPER HOT! Like SUPER HOT HOT! I kind of want it now, though -strangely. ;))

    Ooh, I currently have a big stock of chocolate in the pantry ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aiks... I don't like dishes that are super hot.

      Delete
  5. mmmm, porridge is comfort food for me too! anytime is the right time for porridge. and yeah, peanuts are a great addition to porridge :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't yet developed a taste for congee. What style do you recommend for a foreigner to slowly ease their way into a taste bud adjustment?

    ReplyDelete
  7. The gift away looks great again as a gift away. The porridge with salted egg and frog are both my fav and the pics are making me drool now.

    Looks like a worth while food venture you did at this eatery situated in SS2.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't mind going back there again for more porridge. Another place I like to go is the Teo Chew Porridge house at SS2.

      Delete
  8. I'm yet to acquire a taste for porridge. What style do you recommend I start with to adapt my foreign taste buds?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe start with seafood porridge since you will find more familiar ingredients in the pot. Once you acquire the taste, go for the frog leg porridge =)

      Delete
  9. High five my Teochew friend! Peanuts in porridge = omggggg. My ideal porridge combo would be peanuts, century eggs & sliced fish! oohh! and lots of sliced ginger! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I loved this box of chocolate! Would be definitely a great present!

    ReplyDelete