Tuesday, February 28, 2012

The Han Room @ Garden Shopping Mall

The Oriental Group of Restaurant is no stranger in town. Since the opening of its first restaurant at Jaya Shopping Center in 2000, the group has expanded their foothold to places like Bangsar, Maju Palace, Jaya 33, Jalan Imbi, Viva Home and The Garden Shopping Mall. 
A stunning array of condiments - Assam onions (my favorite), green chili paste and red chili paste
BBQ Char Siew (RM16) - Well caramelized BBQ Pork with notes of honey, five spice powder, dark soy sauce and Hoi Sin sauce. 
Steamed Cheong Fun with Prawns (RM8) - The combination of fresh prawns wrapped in silky soft rice noodles roll went well with the light soy sauce. 
Dried Scallop Dumpling with Spinach (RM7) - These sweet humble packages were filled with dried scallop and spinach, garnished with some roe. 
Chives Dumpling with XO Sauce (RM7) - The aromatic chives added an unique twist to the dried prawns. 
Imperial Har Kau (RM8) -  The filling of a har kau may not be revolutionary, but this is a quintessential dim sum dish. 
Siew Mai (RM7) - The Siew Mai was rather disappointing, as it was not served steaming hot. =(
Fish Ball with Asparagus (RM7) - The fish ball was subpar, thanks to the stale fishiness. 
Deep Fried Bean Curd Roll with Shrimp (RM7) -  Crispy bean curd wrapped with fresh shrimp was enhanced with a smear of chill paste
Braised Egg Noodles Village Style (RM24) - The marquee dish was filled with egg noodles, bean curds and Chinese mushrooms. The dish was rather sappy, with limited "wok hei".

Overall, there were some hits and misses, in my opinion Oriental Classic at Jalan Imbi still serves the best Chinese food under the Oriental group family. Nonetheless, The Han Room is settling into Garden Shopping Mall quite nicely.

Verdict: SOMEWHAT SMITTEN

23 comments:

  1. OMG!!!! gorgeous food and that assam onion is a new discovery for me. I simply love onions and sour taste so much. Must try eatery if I can hit any one of their outlets. Yum to all the food you have ventured into.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nava. I think the assam onion is fairly easy to make, I saw my aunt making it during CNY.

      Delete
  2. ooh we still haven't tried the dim sum at Han Room..Oriental Pavilion at Jaya 33 is our main haunt! We've had dinner here though, and the food is certainly worth a second visit. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Jaya 33 food is better than Han Room.. hehee.

      Delete
  3. Their fresh steamed dumplings look lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Their steamed items are definitely better than the fried items =)

      Delete
  4. The assorted dim sum looks so good, and though the prices are slightly steep, I am sure they taste just as amazing!:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Overall the dim sum was so-so. Don't think I will come back for it. But i guess i won't mind trying the dinner dishes.

      Delete
  5. I've heard loads about this place! Their dinner dishes seem to get better reviews! But I'd definitely try this place when I get back! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tips, will probably drop by during dinner then. =)

      Delete
  6. Oh my, that Char Siew looks so juicy! Then come the pictures of the dumplings and I can't help but drool! It takes me back to my days in Singapore...I miss this food!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes the char siew was delicious... mayb you should come back for a visit? =)

      Delete
  7. the fish balls with asparagus look really healthy there! :)

    Latest: Sinful Indulgence

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wonder if there were a public vote for favorite among the oriental Group's restaurants, which one might win. I think it'd be hard to decide/choose (though I kinda like their one at bangsar shopping center) :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The bangsar outlet is pretty good. But I'll be voting for Oriental Classic =) They recently changed their chef and the food is awesome.

      Delete
  9. Ooh, I like veggies with rice noodles with prawn in them. Hmmm. Yum! And, I also love steamed food that I often call dim sum eheheh

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hehehhe... anything that is heart warming can be called dim sum =)

      Delete
  10. Haven't not tried this restaurant before although I'm at The Gardens almost every other day. Haha. Perhaps, it's the price that kept me away. But from your post, the dim sum prices seem reasonable for restaurant like this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are so many eateries at the garden and mid valley. I would have miss this place if my bro didn't insists on going there. =)

      Delete
  11. hmmm i didn't come across this restaurant when i in Midvalley..
    Chives Dumpling with XO Sauce looks very delicious...
    shall try it next time..

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've not returned to Han Room for almost a year. Time to make a return visit. THANX for the reminder:D

    ReplyDelete